A classic savoury holiday dish, made by stuffing and stacking multiple layers to form the most traditional of “Christmas sculptures”.
Most grocery stores sell them, but if you wish to make this yourself as well, below is the list of ingredients.
To make savoury panettone you’ll need:
- 250 g Manitoba flour (high gluten flour)
- 250 g type 0 flour (all-purpose flour)
- 1 packet dry brewer’s yeast
- 50 ml seed oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 150 ml milk
- 10 g salt
- 500 g panettone mould
In a bowl, thoroughly combine the flours, yeast and sugar. Add the salt, milk and seed oil, a little at the time.
Transfer the dough to a floured pastry board, knead it until dense an elastic, then shape it into a ball.
Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place for a couple of hours.
When doubled, transfer the dough to the panettone mould. Cover it, and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
Brush the panettone with a mixture of milk and egg yolk, and bake it for about 35 minutes in the oven, preheated to 180° C.
We recommend preparing the panettone the day before so that it has time to cool and firm up prior to being stuffed. Be sure it stays covered while it “rests”.
Stuffing the savoury panettone
Slice the panettone into 5-6 layers and add whichever filling you wish. Ideally, each layer will have a different flavour. Try a variety of different coloured fillings to brighten up your presentation or choose a theme: vegetarian, fish, or cured meats.
Here are 5 tasty fillings you can make at home:
- Veal with tuna sauce
- Tuna mousse: blend 160 g of canned tuna with 1 teaspoon LIMMI lemon juice and 80 g spreadable cheese.
- Salmon spread: make a soft spread by mixing 100 g spreadable cheese with 80 g finely chopped smoked salmon, a pinch of salt, a dash of chives and a few drops of LIMMI lemon juice.
- Bresaola with lemon